1 the first section of a communication
2 the act of beginning something new; "they looked forward to the debut of their new product line" [syn: debut, first appearance, launching, unveiling, entry]
4 a basic or elementary instructional text
5 a new proposal; "they resisted the introduction of impractical alternatives"
7 the act of starting something for the first time; introducing something new; "she looked forward to her initiation as an adult"; "the foundation of a new scientific society"; "he regards the fork as a modern introduction" [syn: initiation, founding, foundation, institution, origination, creation, innovation, instauration]
- Rhymes: -ʌkʃən
- The act or process of introducing.
- A means, such as a personal letter, of presenting one person to another.
- An initial section of a book or article, which introduces the subject material.
The act or process of introducing
A means, such as a personal letter, of presenting one person to another
An initial section of a book or article, which introduces the subject material
Introduction (abbreviated intro) can refer to:
- Introduction (music), an opening section of a piece of music.
- Introduction (essay), beginning section which states the purpose and goals of the following writing.
- Foreword, beginning secton of a book, commonly written by someone other than the author of the book.
- A short demo (computer programming) with only few screens, often small, due to competition rules.
- Introduction (Marty Friedman album), a music album by Marty Friedman.
- Introduction (Alex Parks album), a music album by Alex Parks.
- The Introduction, a prequel film of the video game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
- Intro (band), a US R&B group
Introduction and Intro are the titles of various songs:*"Introduction", the main theme from Tubular Bells as titled on Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells 2003 album
- "Introduction 2003", a remixed version of "Introduction" was released as a single by Mike Oldfield
- "Introduction", a song by Quasi from their 2001 album The Sword of God
- "Introduction", a song by Hood from their 2005 album Outside Closer
- "Introduction, the first track on Panic! at the Disco's album A Fever You Can't Sweat Out
- "Introduction", a song by Gracious! from their 1970 album Gracious!
- "Introduction", a song by Chicago from their 1969 album Chicago Transit Authority
- "Intro", a song by Refused from their 1994 album "This Just Might Be the Truth"
- "The Intro", a song by LL Cool J from his 1995 album Mr. Smith
- "Intro", a song by De La Soul from their 2000 album AOI: Bionix
- "Intro", a five second track by The Offspring from their 2000 album Conspiracy of One
- "Intro", a song by N*E*R*D from their 2001 album In Search of...
- "Intro", a song by LL Cool J from his 2002 album 10
- "Intro", a song by Arto Tunçboyacıyan and Serj Tankian from their 2003 collaborative album "Serart"
- "Intro", a song by Alan Braxe from his 2005 album The Upper Cuts
- "Intro", a song by Bullet For My Valentine from their 2005 album The Poison
- "Intro", a short track by rapper Ludacris from his album The Red Light District
- "Intro", a song by Gorillaz on the 2005 album, "Demon Days"
- "Intro", a song by Lupe Fiasco on his 2006 album, "Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor"
- "Intro", a song by Korn from their 2007 Untitled Korn album
- "Intro", a song by Jay-Z on his 2007 album, "American Gangster"
introduction in German: Einleitung
introduction in French: Introduction
introduction in Norwegian Nynorsk: introduksjon
introduction in Swedish: Intro
Vorspiel, abecedarium, abecedary, access, acknowledgments, acquaintance, acquaintedness, act, admission, afterpiece, and arithmetic, aside, avant-propos, back, back matter, bastard title, bibliography, bit, breakthrough, catch line, catchword, chaser, close acquaintance, cloture, coinage, colophon, coming out, committee consideration, concert overture, contents, contents page, copyright page, curtain, curtain call, curtain raiser, debate, debut, dedication, deliberation, descant, discovery, divertimento, divertissement, division, dramatic overture, elementary education, elements, embarkation, embarkment, embedment, endleaf, endpaper, endsheet, entrance, entree, entry, epilogue, episode, errata, exode, exodus, exordium, expository scene, filibuster, filibustering, filing, finale, first appearance, first reading, first steps, floating, flotation, flyleaf, folio, fore edge, foreword, front matter, frontispiece, graft, grafting, half-title page, head, hoke act, hornbook, impaction, impactment, implantation, import, importation, importing, imprint, inaugural address, inauguration, income, incoming, index, induction, infiltration, infix, infixion, infusion, ingoing, ingress, ingression, initiation, injection, innovation, inoculation, input, inscription, insert, insertion, insinuation, installation, installment, intake, intercalation, interjection, interlineation, interlocution, interlude, intermezzo, intermission, interpenetration, interpolation, introgression, intromission, intrusion, invention, knockdown, launching, leaf, leakage, leap, logrolling, maiden speech, makeup, neologism, new phase, novelty, number, obiter dictum, opener, operatic overture, overture, page, parenthesis, penetration, percolation, perfusion, postulate, preamble, preface, prefix, prefixture, preliminaries, preliminary, prelude, premise, presentation, presupposition, primer, proem, prolegomena, prolegomenon, prolepsis, prologue, propaedeutic, protasis, reading, reception, recto, remark, reverso, roll call, routine, rudiments, running title, scene, second reading, seepage, shtick, side remark, signature, sketch, skit, song and dance, stand-up comedy act, steamroller methods, striptease, subtitle, table of contents, tabling, tail, talkathon, tessellation, text, third reading, title, title page, tossing-in, trim size, turn, type page, unveiling, vamp, verse, verso, voluntary, vote, writing